If you have these twelve items, along with fresh or frozen vegetables, chicken, fish (fresh, frozen or canned) or tofu, you can make quick and healthful meals in minutes.
- Fresh garlic
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Fresh lemons
- Whole grains like quinoa, frozen brown rice, whole grain pita bread
- Beans (if canned, no salt added or rinse before using)
- Canned tomatoes (no salt added if possible)
- Fresh herbs like parsley, basil or dill
- Balsamic, white and apple cider vinegar
- Reduced sodium soy sauce
- Dried herbs and spices like cayenne pepper, chili powder, curry powder, tarragon and oregano
- Dijon mustard
- Plain Greek yogurt
1. Toss chicken drumsticks and asparagus with olive oil, lemon zest, oregano, salt and pepper. Roast on a baking sheet in 400 degree oven for 30 minutes.
2. Combine drained chickpeas, grated carrots, raisins, plain yogurt, and curry powder served inside a whole grain pita bread.
3. Mix extra virgin olive oil, Dijon mustard, balsamic vinegar with canned tuna fish, white beans and chopped scallions.
4. Toss cauliflower pieces with curry powder, salt and pepper and olive oil. Roast on a baking sheet in 400 degree oven for 20-30 minutes.
5. Saute cubes of tofu in extra virgin olive oil, add minced garlic and chopped broccoli. Serve over steam in the bag brown rice with a splash of soy sauce.
6. Pan sear white fish in extra virgin olive oil. Top with freshly chopped dill and parsley. Add splash of lemon juice and season with salt and pepper to taste.
7. Saute chopped onions and garlic. Add canned tomatoes, kidney beans, pinto beans, chili powder and cayenne pepper. Salt and pepper to taste.